Saturday 28 April 2012

In Memoriam

The end of April is a time of remembrance for me. So I thought I would share about the three people I think of most at this time of year.

On April 21, 2001 my Poppy, Art Hoy, passed away. We had only known him for a few years, as my mom was given up for adoption as a baby and we never knew who her parents were until the late 90's. The time we spent with Poppy was sweet. He was a very generous and loving man and I am so glad that we got to know him before he passed.

On April 28, 2006 (two months before my wedding) my Grandma Barbara Scott passed away. This was very hard for me, as she was definitely my grandmother to whom I was the closest. We spent so much time together, I shared some secrets with her, and she was always took great interest in me and all of my cousins and our lives. I think it was also very hard because I knew she had been looking forward to my wedding while she was sick, as an event to look forward to, and she was greatly missed by me on the day. But I know she was there, and in the six years that have passed, I miss her greatly, but I also have so many fond memories with her to look back on.

Then, this past Thursday, April 26, 2012 we said goodbye to my beloved Papa, Richard Whiteley. He had been sick for some time, and had reached the ripe old age of 96, so it is with mixed emotions that I think many of us said goodbye. I am happy that his pain is gone, that he lived such a full life and that he got to know my children and see the person that I have become. He told me he was proud of me the last time I saw him and I will never forget those few moments we had alone together and every word he said.

Leah loved him too - she ran and gave me a big hug when Daddy told her that Papa was gone. I know she doesn't understand really, but I will always have the memories of the times she got to play with him.

Well, enough tears for one afternoon. There will be a memorial for Papa May 27th at the Canadian Legion, Waterloo Branch 1-4pm.

It will be a celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment